- a mechanical or electrical device that performs or assists in the performance of human tasks, or is used for amusement (like a pinball machine).
- the group that controls a political or similar organization.
- (archaic) a vehicle operated mechanically; an automobile.
- a person who seemingly acts like a machine, a person who is very proficient at a task.
verb (machines, machining, machined)
- Bruce Campbell was a "demon-killing machine" because he made quick work of killing demons.
- to make by machinery.
- to shape or finish by machinery.
- belonging to a machine
- made by a machine
- The working parts of a machine as a group.
- The collective parts of something which allow it to function.
- A tool, usually itself a machine and usually power-driven, used for machine
- Verb, machining. Examples include lathes, milling machines, shapers, planers, hobbers, drill presses, jig borers, and others.
- Someone of masculine gender.
- Belonging or referring to the sex which is generally characterized as having the smaller gametes (for species which have two sexes and for which this distinction can be made).
- (figurative) having an external plug, as in a connector or pipe fitting.
- an object used to shape material being worked
- a tool component that grips or clamps materials to be machined
- a tool component that grips or clamps other moving tool components
- someone who has control over something or someone
- owner of an animal or slave
- the captain of a merchant ship; a master mariner
- someone who employs others
- an expert at something
- a tradesman who is qualified to teach apprentices
- a skilled artist
- (dated) a courtesy title of a man; mister
- a courtesy title for a boy
- the original of a document or of a recording
- (context, Filmology) The primary wide shot of a scene, into which the closeups will be edited later.
- to be a master
- to control
- to learn to a high degree of proficiency
- main, principal or predominant
- highly skilled
- Related to mechanics, done by machine
- Within a machine or machinery; any mechanical means for the conversion or control of motion, or the transmission or control of power
- Any combination of cams, gears, links, belts, chains and logical mechanical elements
- A group of objects or parts that interact together. (Political machine)
- A mental, physical or chemical process.
- (philosophy) A theory that all natural phenomena can be explained by physical causes.
verb (mesh, es)
- The opening or space enclosed by the threads of a net between knot and knot, or the threads enclosing such a space.
- The engagement of the teeth of wheels, or of a wheel and rack.
- to fit in, to come together
- A grinding apparatus for substances such as grains, seeds, etc.
- The building housing such a grinding apparatus.
- A manufacturing plant for paper, steel, textiles, etc.
- A building housing such a plant.
- An establishment that handles a certain type of situation routinely, such as a divorce mill, etc.
- (transitive) To grind or otherwise process in a mill or other machine.
- to mill flour
- (transitive) To shape, polish, dress or finish using a machine.
- (transitive) To engrave one or more grooves or a pattern around the edge of (a cylindrical object such as a coin).
- (intransitive) (followed by around, about, etc.) To move about in an aimless fashion.
- A machine tool in which a rotating cutter is moved against the workpiece (or vice versa) in order to cut the latter to a desired shape.
- A pigmented spot on the skin, a naevus.
- Somebody who mows
- A lawnmower