proper noun UNIX or
- A computer operating system.
- A derived work of Unix that qualifies for use of the Unix trademark.
- (italbrac, informal, considered incorrect) A Unix-like operating system similar to Unix but not qualifying for use of the Unix trademark. Such systems are not strictly considered Unix but are often commonly described as such informally.
- The group of Unix operating systems as a whole.
- An advisement providing more up-to-date information than currently known.
verb (updat, ing)
- He gave me an on the situation in New York
- A change in information, a modification of existing or known data.
- I just made an to the Wikipedia article on gorillas
- An additional piece of information. An addition to existing information.
- I just made an to my blog about my trip to Rome
- A modification of something to a more recent, up-to-date version; (in software) a minor upgrade.
- Our database receives an every morning at 3 AM
- I have a couple of updates to install on your laptop
- (transitive) To make (something) up to date.
- I need to my records to take account of the latest developments.
- (transitive) To advise (a person) so that they are up to date.
- Update me on what happened while I was away.
- Such a file transfer.
- (transitive or intransitive) (computing) to transfer data or files from a peripheral or subordinate system to a larger or more central one; especially from a personal computer to an Internet server
- You will have to convert your photograph to a jpg format if you wish to it.
- Uniform Resource Locator: an address of a web page, ftp site, audio stream or other Internet resource, e.g. http://en.wiktionary.org/
- (internet) A world-wide distributed discussion system consisting of "newsgroups" classified hierarchically by subject.
- One who uses or makes use of something, a consumer.
- A person who uses drugs, especially illegal drugs.
- (context, computing) A person who uses a computer or a computing network, especially a person who has received a user account.
- (pejorative) An exploiter, an abusive user (a person who uses something or someone unfairly, selfishly and/or unethically).
noun (utilit, ies)
- (economics) The ability of a commodity to satisfy needs or wants.
- The state or condition of being useful; usefulness.
- Something that is useful.
- A service provider, such as an electric company and water company.
noun (wikipedia, utility software)
- (computing) any of a large range of software, often included with the operating system of a mainframe or personal computer, that runs specific tasks associated with the computer or its environment