initialism (OD's or ODs, OD'ed or ODed, OD'ing or ODing)
- An overdose.
- An overdraft.
- (informal) To take an overdose of a drug.
- (context, degree) Doctor of Optometry.
- overdrive, Overdrive.
- overdraft, Overdraft.
- optical density
- Of or pertaining to an office or public trust; as, official duties, or routine.
- Derived from the proper office or officer, or from the proper authority; made or communicated by virtue of authority; as, an official statement or report.
- Approved by authority; sanctioned by the pharmacopoeia; appointed to be used in medicine; as, an official drug or preparation. See officinal.
- Discharging an office or function.
- Relating to an office; especially, to a subordinate executive officer or attendant.
- Relating to an ecclesiastical judge appointed by a bishop, chapter, archdeacon, etc., with charge of the spiritual jurisdiction.
- a thick viscous preparation for application to the skin, often containing medication
- (chemistry) any salt or ester of oleic acid
- (inorganic compound) A solution of sulfur trioxide in sulfuric acid.
verb (operat, ing)
- To perform a work or labor; to exert power or strengh, physical or mechanical; to act.
- To produce an appropriate physical effect; to issue in the result designed by nature; especially (Med.), to take appropriate effect on the human system.
- To act or produce effect on the mind; to exert moral power or influence.
- (medicine) To perform some manual act upon a human body in a methodical manner, and usually with instruments, with a view to restore soundness or health, as in amputation, lithotomy, etc.
- To deal in stocks or any commodity with a view to speculative profits.
- To produce, as an effect; to cause.
- To put into, or to continue in, operation or activity; to work; as, to operate a machine.
verb (opiat, ing)
- A drug, hormone or other substance derived from or related to opium.
- Something that dulls the senses and induces a false and unrealistic sense of contentment.
- (transitive) To treat with an opiate drug.
- Relating to, resembling, or containing opium.
- soporific, Soporific; inducing sleep or sedation.
- deadening, Deadening; causing apathy or dullness.
verb (overdos, es)
- An excessive and dangerous dose of a drug.
- To dose excessively, to take an overdose.
adverb (pos=over the counter, -)
|over the counter||
- (finance) Through direct trade; outside a standard stock exchange.
- (pharmacy) (able to be obtained) without a doctor's prescription.
- (figuratively) legitimately, Legitimately (as opposed to under the counter).
- (pharmacy) Non-prescription medicine and treatments, abbreviated as OTC.
- (finance) Direct interaction between two parties without an intermediary.
- (hormone) A hormone that stimulates contractions during labour/labor, and then the production of milk.