noun (kingfishes, sg=kingfish)
- any of several food fishes of the genus Menticirrhus from the Atlantic
- any of several similar fishes of the Pacific
verb (kippers, kippering, kippered)
- A split, salted and smoked herring.
- To prepare a herring or similar fish in that fashion.
- Helostoma temminckii, a large tropical freshwater fish. They are commercial food fish which are farmed in their native Southeast Asia, and are also popular with aquarium, aquarists for the fish's peculiar "kissing" behaviour.
noun (plural )
- Ornamental domesticated varieties of the common carp, Cyprinus carpio, of Japan and eastern Asia with red-gold or white coloring.