- (geology) The geological period of the Cenozoic Era immediately following the Tertiary. It is subdivided into the Pleistocene and the Holocene Epochs.
verb (quench, es)
- To satisfy, especially an actual or figurative thirst.
- The library quenched her thirst for knowledge.
- To extinguish or put out (as a fire or light.)
- Then the MacManus? went down. The sudden of the white light was how I knew it. -- Saul Bellow
- To cool rapidly by dipping into a bath of coolant, as a blacksmith quenching hot iron.
- The swordsmith quenched the sword in an oil bath so that it wouldn't shatter.
- The metal mercury.
- (colloquial) An amalgam of mercury and tin applied to the backs of mirrors, quicksilvering.
- To overlay with quicksilver.
- To treat with quicksilver.
- unpredictable, Unpredictable, erratic or fickle; mercurial.