- (context, mostly, US) a policy of favoring native-born inhabitants over immigrants
- the policy of perpetuating the culture of the natives of a colonised country
- (philosophy) the doctrine that some skills or abilities are innate and not learned
- A word or phrase which has recently been coined; a new word or phrase.
- (uncountable) The act or instance of coining, or uttering a new word.
- The newly coined, meaningless words or phrases of someone with a Psychosis, usually Schizophrenia.
noun (plural nodes)
- A knot, a knob; a protuberance; a swelling.
- (Astronomy) The point where the orbit of a planet, as viewed from the sun, intersects the ecliptic. The ascending and descending nodes refer respetively to the points where the planet moves from S to N and N to S. The respective symbols are â˜Š and â˜‹.
- The joint of a stem, or the part where a leaf or several leaves are inserted.
- A hole in the gnomon of a dial, through which passes the ray of light which marks the hour of the day, the parallels of the sun's declination, his place in the ecliptic, etc.
- (geometry) The point at which a curve crosses itself, being a double point of the curve. See Crunode, and Acnode.
- The point at which the lines of a funicular machine meet from different angular directions; -- called also knot.
- The knot, intrigue, or plot of a piece.
- A hard concretion or incrustation which forms upon bones attacked with rheumatism, gout, or syphilis; sometimes also, a swelling in the neighborhood of a joint.
- One of the fixed points of a sonorous string, when it vibrates by aliquot parts, and produces the harmonic tones; nodal line or point.
- A swelling.
- (graphtheory) A vertex of a graph.
- (computing_theory) (context, computer networking) A vertex or a leaf in a graph of a network; a computer or other device attached to a network
- A word invented for the occasion.
- Not standard.
- (linguistics) Not conforming to the language used by the educated sections of a society.
- Nunavut (Canadian territory)
- Nuoro (Italian city in Sardegna)
- A member of a Christian religious community of women who live by certain vows and usually wear a habit.