noun (plural: capstans)
- A vertical cleated drum or cylinder, revolving on an upright spindle, and surmounted by a drumhead with sockets for bars or levers. It is much used, especially on shipboard, for moving or raising heavy weights or exerting great power by traction upon a rope or cable, passing around the drum. It is operated either by steam power or by a number of men walking around the capstan, each pushing on the end of a lever fixed in its socket.
- (context, firearms) The package consisting of the bullet, primer, and casing containing gunpowder; a round of ammunition.
- (A general sense that arose by extension from the sense of firearm cartridge) A prefabricated subassembly that can be easily installed in or removed from a larger mechanism or replaced with another interchangeable subassembly.
- (computing) A vessel which contains the ink or toner for a computer printer and can be easily replaced with another.
- (computing) Magnetic tape storage, used for storing (backup) copies of data.
- (obsolete) A small paper package, e.g. in an old book about making printer's type: After all the type has been cast: "The Boy will paper up each sort in a by itself".
- A small flat case containing magnetic tape on two reels, used to record and play back audio and video material.
- Any similar small cartridge, such as for a computer disk.
- (photography) A lightproof container for photographic film.
- (genetics) A modular DNA sequence encoding one or more genes for a single biochemical function.
- (bicycle part) A set of sprockets mounted onto a splined shaft on the freehub.
Image:CassetteTypes1.jpg, audio cassettes
Image:Famicom ROM cassette.jpg, ROM cassette
Image:Tessina Film.jpg, film cassette
Image:SRAM cassette.jpg, bicycle cassette
- compact disk: A form of digital media that is based on the use of a laser to read from a plastic disc in a reader device known as a CD drive. It comes in several varieties including the CD-ROM (ROM=read-only memory) which cannot be written to except during manufacturing, the CD-R (recordable), which can be written to exactly once, and the CD-RW (re-writable), which can be written to as many times as one wishes (to a limit).
- Certificate of deposit: used by financial institutions
- Corps diplomatique: a decal found on automobiles to indicate diplomatic status
- Creative director: head of the creative department (e.g. advertising agencies)
- Corporate design: specific design features of a company, corporate identity CI
- Collision detection: used by an Ethernet network to detect when two computers are sending frames at the same time, and also to deal with such collisions when they happen
- circular dichroism
- The physical confine of a river or slough, consisting of a bed and banks.
- ''The water coming out of the waterwheel created a standing wave in the .
- The natural or man-made deeper course through a reef, bar, bay, or any shallow body of water.
- A was dredged to allow ocean-going vessels to reach the city.
- The navigable part of a river.
- We were careful to keep our boat in the .
- A narrow body of water between two land masses.
- The English Channel lies between France and England.
- (electronics) A connection between initiate, initiating and terminate, terminating nodes of a circuit.
- The guard-rail provided the between the downed wire and the tree.
- (electronics) The narrow conducting portion of a MOSFET transistor.
- (communication) The part that connects a data source to a data sink.
- A stretches between them.
- (communication) A path for conveying electrical or electromagnetic signals, usually distinguished from other parallel paths.
- We are using one of the 24 channels.
- (communication) A single path provided by a transmission medium via physical separation, such as by multipair cable.
- The is created by bonding the signals from these four pairs.
- (communication) A single path provided by a transmission medium via spectral or protocol separation, such as by frequency or time-division multiplexing.
- Their call is being carried on 6 of the T-1 line.
- (context, broadcasting) A specific radio frequency or band of frequencies, usually in conjunction with a predetermined letter, number, or codeword, and allocated by international agreement.
- KNDD is the at 107.7 MHz in Seattle.
- (context, broadcasting) A specific radio frequency or band of frequencies used for transmitting television.
- NBC is on 11 in San Jose.
- (context, storage) The portion of a storage medium, such as a track or a band, that is accessible to a given reading or writing station or head.
- This chip in this disk drive is the device.
- (context, technic) The way in a turbine pump where the pressure is built up.
- The liquid is pressurized in the lateral .
- To direct the flow of something.
- We will the traffic to the left with these cones.
- To assume the personality of another person, typically a historic figure, in a theatrical or paranormal presentation.
- When it is my turn to sing Karaoke, I am going to Ray Charles.
noun See chip
verb See chip
- A male given name.
- (geometry) Having a common central axis.
- A place where one thing cross, crosses over another.
- The means by which the crossing is made.
- (w:genetics, genetics) the result of the exchange of genetic material during meiosis.
- A blend of multiple style, styles of music, intended to appeal to a wider audience.
- An automobile that is a mix of two kinds of automobiles, i.e. the w:Pontiac_Torrent, Pontiac Torrent.
- (railroading) A pair of switches and a short, diagonal length of track which together connect two parallel tracks and allow passage between them.