- A long, thin, sharp implement usually for piercing such as sewing, or knitting, acupuncture, tattooing, body piercing, medical injections etc.
verb (needl, ing)
- The seamstress threaded the to sew on a button.
- A long, thin device for indicating measurements on a dial or graph, e.g. a compass needle.
- The on the fuel gauge pointed to empty.
- A sensor for playing phonograph records, a phonograph stylus.
- Ziggy bought some diamond needles for his hi-fi phonograph.
- The long, pointed leaves of some conifers.
- I boiled some of the needles from the Christmas tree to add a pleasing scent to the air.
- A weapon used in ancient China, and today by Shaolin monks.
- (transitive) To tease; to poke fun at.
- Billy needled his sister incessantly about her pimples.