- An outlying part of a city or town, beyond the walls; a suburb, especially of Paris.
- 1973: By the time that I was quite clear of the city's unlovely faubourgs and purlieus I needed petrol: the Silver Ghost is a lovely car but its best friend would have to admit that its m.'s per g. are few. " Kyril Bonfiglioli, Don't Point That Thing at Me. (Penguin 2001, p. 81)
noun (faux pas, sg=faux pas)
- A blunder (especially used in social contexts).
noun (plural femmes fatales)
- A woman with an irresistible seductive charm, who leads those who love her into danger or despair.
- The background design in lace-making.