- The rear sight of a firearm.
- (surveying) A measurement or reading taken back towards a point of known elevation, used to calculate the height of the theodolite.
- (surveying) A measurement of a previously shot point, used to set the angle to zero when occupying a new position.
- (surveying) To shoot a backsight.
- Something from which other things extend; a foundation.
- The starting point of a logical deduction or thought.
- A permanent structure for housing military personnel and material.
- The place where decisions for an organization are made; headquarters.
- (chemistry) Any of a class of generally water-soluble compounds, having bitter taste, that turn red litmus blue, and react with acids to form salts.
- A safe zone in the children's games of tag and hide-and-go-seek
- (architecture) The lowermost part of a column, between the shaft and the pedestal or pavement.
- (baseball) One of the three places that a runner can stand in safety.
- (biology, biochemistry) A nucleotide's nucleobase in the context of a DNA or RNA biopolymer.
- (botany) The end of a leaf,petal or similar organ where it is attached to its support.
- (electronics) The name of the controlling terminal of a transistor.
- (geometry) The lowest side of a in a triangle or other polygon, or the lowest face of a cone, pyramid or other polyhedron laid flat.
- (mathematics) A number raised to the power of an exponent.
adjective (baser, basest)
- The logarithm to 2 of 8 is 3.
- (topology) The set of sets from which a topology is generated.
base (more base, most base)
- A mechanical device that supports another part and/or reduces friction.
- (nautical) The horizontal angle between the direction of an object and that of true north; subject to variation and deviation when taken by a magnetic compass
- relevance, Relevance; a relationship or connection.
- That has no on this issue.
- One's posture, demeanor, or manner.
- She walks with a confident, self-assured .
- (Often in plural:bearings) direction, Direction or relative position.
- Present participle of to bear.
- Of a beam, column, or other device, carrying weight or load; as, a bearing wall.