noun (wikipedia, definitive stamp)
- (grammar) a word, such as a definite article or demonstrative pronoun, that defines or limits something
- (philately) an ordinary postage stamp that is part of a series of all denominations or is reprinted as needed to meet demand
- explicitly defined
- conclusive or decisive
- definite, authoritative and complete
- an instrument used surgically to remove a thin slice of skin for grafting
- an area of skin which is innervated by afferent nerve fibers coming to a single posterior spinal root
- the cutis plate
- The act of determining, or the state of being determined.
- Bringing to an end; termination; limit.
- Direction or tendency to a certain end; impulsion.
- The quality of mind which reaches definite conclusions; decision of character; resoluteness.
- (countable) The state of decision; a judicial decision, or ending of controversy.
- (countable) That which is determined upon; result of deliberation; purpose; conclusion formed; fixed resolution.
- A flow, rush, or tendency to a particular part; as, a determination of blood to the head.
- (countable) The act, process, or result of any accurate measurement, as of length, volume, weight, intensity, etc.; as, the determination of the ohm or of the wave length of light; the determination of the salt in sea water, or the oxygen in the air.
- The act of defining a concept or notion by giving its essential constituents.
- The addition of a differentia to a concept or notion, thus limiting its extent; -- the opposite of generalization.
- The act of determining the relations of an object, as regards genus and species; the referring of minerals, plants, or animals, to the species to which they belong; classification; as, I am indebted to a friend for the determination of most of these shells.
- (context, originally) A rolling down.
- A descent, especially one that passes through a series of revolutions, or by succession
- The transference of a right to a successor, or of a power from one body to another.
- (genetics) degeneration, Degeneration (as opposed to evolution).
- The transfer of some powers, and the delegation of some functions, from a central sovereign government to local government; eg. from Westminster to Scottish parliament and Welsh assembly.
- A cell which is diploid.
- An organism with diploid cells.
- (cytology) Of a cell, having a pair of each type of chromosome, one of the pair is derived from the ovum and the other from the spermatozoon. Most somatic cells of higher organisms are diploid.