- A device on a camera that shows what will appear in the field of view of the lens; it helps the user target a subject, zoom and focus the image
verb (vignett, ed)
- A running ornament consisting of leaves and tendrils, used in Gothic architecture.
- A decorative design, originally representing vine branches or tendrils, at the head of a chapter, of a manuscript or printed book, or in a similar position.
- By extension, any small picture in a book; hence, also, as such pictures are often without a definite bounding line, any picture, as an engraving, a photograph, or the like, which vanishes gradually at the edge.
- By further extension, a short story that presents a scene or tableau, or paints a picture.
- The small picture in the centre/center of a postage stamp.
- To make, as an engraving or a photograph, with a border or edge gradually fading away.