- An act of taking.
- Something that is taken.
- A profit or reward.
verb (takes, taking, took, taken)
He wants half of the if he helps with the job.
- An interpretation or view.
What"s your on this issue, Fred? It"s a .
(film) An attempt to record a scene.
Act seven, scene three, two.
(rugby) A catch.
(acting) A facial gesture in response to an event.
I did a when I saw the new car in the driveway.
(cricket) a catch of the ball, especially by the wicket-keeper
- To grasp with the hands.
- To grab and move to oneself.
I"ll that plate off the table.
- To get into one's possession.
(military) To gain a position by force.
After a bloody battle, they were able to the city.
- To have sex with forcefully, possibly without consent.
The rapist took his victims in dark alleys.
- To carry, particularly to a particular destination.
I'll the plate with me.
- To choose.
I'll the blue plates.
- To support or carry without failing or breaking.
That truck bed will only two tons.
- To endure or cope with.
I can the noise, but I can't take the smell.
(baseball) To not swing at a pitch
He"ll probably this one.
- To ingest medicine, drugs, etc.
I aspirin every day to thin my blood. Do you me for a fool?
(italbrac, Usually with "for") To assume or interpret to be.
I it you're not going?''
- To enroll (in a class, or a course of study)
I plan to math, physics, literature and flower arrangment this semester.
- To participate in, undergo (a test or exam).
Aren't you supposed to your math final today?
(climbing) To tighten (take up) a belaying rope. Often used imperatively.
- To fight or attempt to fight somebody. (See also take on.)
Don't try to that guy. He's bigger than you.
- To stick, persist, thrive or remain.
I started some tomato seeds last spring, but they didn't . Looks like it's gonna a taller person to get that down.
(cricket) To catch the ball; especially for the wicket-keeper to catch the ball after the batsman has missed or edged it.
(impersonal) To require.
It takes a village to raise a child.
(transitive) To require.
You'll need to your textbook with you to every class. I estimate the trip will about ten minutes.
- To last an amount of time.
- A photograph taken through a telephoto lens.
- Of or pertaining to a lens system used to produce an enlarged image of a distant object.
verb (thins, thinning, thinned)
adjective (thinner, thinnest)
- To make, or to become thin or thinner
- To dilute
Slim, narrow in size, and (of a person or animal) usually carrying little fat.
- Of low viscosity or low specific gravity, e.g., as is water compared to honey.
- Overly strict.
(sports) A poorly played golf shot where the ball is struck by the bottom part of the club head. See fat, shank, toe.
a slope or inclination (uncountable)
a joust (countable)
- to slope or incline (something); to slant
(jousting) to charge (at someone) with a lance
- to forge (something) with a tilt hammer
(poker) to play worse than usual (often as a result of previous bad luck)
(photography) an exposure obtained by leaving the shutter open for a period greater than a fraction of a second; an image so obtained