All Words Glossary
Any of various insectivorous tropical birds, of the family Galbulidae, having iridescent plumage and a long, sharp bill.
noun (plural: jackdaws)
A European bird of the Crow family (Corvus monedula), often nesting in church towers and ruins; a daw.
(given name, male), nickname for James, Jason, or for any male name beginning with a "J" .
(given name, female), nickname of names beginning with a "J"; or from the jay bird.
- A jay or blue jay.
1894: Mark Twain, http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/ot2www-pubeng?specfile=/texts/english/modeng/publicsearch/modengpub.o2w&act=text&offset=638515933&textreg=1&query=jaybird&id=TwaAbro Tom Sawyer Abroad
- :"When I say birds of a feather flocks together, it's a metaphorical way of saying -- "
- :"But dey don't, Mars Tom. No, sir, 'deed dey don't. Dey ain't no feathers dat's more alike den a bluebird en a , but ef you waits till you catches dem birds together, you'll -- "
:"Oh, give us a rest! You can't get the simplest little thing through your thick skull. Now don't bother me any more."
(context, US, colloquial) One who talks incessantly.
Belinda was a and could prattle on for hours about the latest gossip.
- Any bird of the genus Junco, which includes several species of North American finches; -- called also snowbird, or blue snowbird.
- a prepubescent child
- a person not legally of age, or who is younger than may be charged with an offence
- an animal that is not sexually mature
- an actor playing a child's role
- young; not fully developed
- characteristic of youth or immaturity; childish
Browse the Dictionary