- (after a negative) as well
- I don't like him and I don't like her .
- I cannot run fast to catch up to them.
- A sufficient or adequate number, amount, etc
- I have enough to keep me going.
- In fiction, drama, or allegory, the archetypical ordinary individual, frequently the protagonist in a parable of some sort.
- All the things
- Everything is good in one way or another.
- (transitive) To exclude; to specify as being an exception.
- 2007: But this ban on circumcision must have been a provocation, as the emperor Antoninus Pius later acknowledged by excepting the Jews. " Glen Bowersock, "Provocateur", London Review of Books 29:4, p. 17
- (context, intransitive, rare, construed with to or against) To take exception, to object to.
- 1658: The Athenians might fairly against the practise of Democritus to be buried up in honey; as fearing to embezzle a great commodity of their Countrey " Sir Thomas Browne, Urne-Burial (Penguin 2005, p. 23)
- (present participle of, except)