- (context, Filmology): A lighting electrician for a motion-picture or television production.
noun (plural: gathers)
- A plait or fold in cloth, made by drawing a thread through it; a pucker.
- The inclination forward of the axle journals to keep the wheels from working outward.
- The soffit or under surface of the masonry required in gathering. See Gather, v. t., 7.
- To bring together; to collect, as a number of separate things, into one place, or into one aggregate body; to assemble; to muster; to congregate.
- To pick out and bring together from among what is of less value; to collect, as a harvest; to harvest; to cull; to pick off; to pluck.
- To accumulate by collecting and saving little by little; to amass; to gain; to heap up.
- To bring closely together the parts or particles of; to contract; to compress; to bring together in folds or plaits, as a garment; also, to draw together, as a piece of cloth by a thread; to pucker; to plait; as, to gather a ruffle.
- To derive, or deduce, as an inference; to collect, as a conclusion, from circumstances that suggest, or arguments that prove; to infer; to conclude.
- I you mean I'm ignorant rather than stupid.
- To gain; to win.
- To bring together, or nearer together, in masonry, as where the width of a fireplace is rapidly diminished to the width of the flue, or the like.
- To haul in; to take up; as, to gather the slack of a rope.
- To come together; to collect; to unite; to become assembled; to congregate.
- To grow larger by accretion; to increase.
- To concentrate; to come to a head, as a sore, and generate pus; as, a boil has gathered.
- To collect or bring things together.
verb (glaz, es)
- The vitreous coating of pottery or porcelain; anything used as a coating or color in glazing. See Glaze, v. t., 3.
- (meteorology) A smooth coating of ice formed on objects due to the freezing of rain.
- Broth reduced by boiling to a gelatinous paste, and spread thinly over braised dishes.
- A glazing oven. See Glost oven.
- (intransitive)To become glazed or glassy.
- (transitive)In painting, to apply a thin, transparent layer of color.
- (context, mining) originally, a hole in a mineshaft where an orebody is mined upwards until it breaks through the surface into the open air.
- (context, slang, sexual) a hole in a screen or wall big enough to allow an erect penis to be stuck through, made to have anonymous sex with another person. Glory holes are often found in public toilets and are likely to be used for gay male activities.
- (context, slang) a military trench.
noun (plural: goblets)
- a drinking-vessel with a stem and base
- Alternative spelling of greybeard.
- An old man.
- Metaphorically, the members of a group who have been there the longest (regardless or actual age or gender.)