- An indoor dipole television antenna consisting of two usually extensible rods connected to a base to form a V shape.
- Anything which radiates or emits rays.
- (Automotive) A device that lowers engine coolant temperature by conducting heat to the air, through metal fins.
- (Buildings) A finned metal fixture that carries hot water or steam in order to heat a room.
- (electronics) A type of antenna.
- (uncountable) The technology that allows for the transmission of sound or other signals by modulation of electromagnetic waves.
- (countable) A device that can capture (receive) the signal sent over radio waves and render the modulated signal as sound.
- (countable) A device that can transmit radio signal.
- To send a message by radio
- ''I think the boat is sinking, we'd better radio for help.
- Usage note: Used for small radio transmitters carried by people, ships, etc, not for regular radio broadcasting to large audiences.
- the study of the acoustics of sounds as carried and reproduced by radio
- An increase in wages.
verb (rais, ing)
- The boss gave me a .
- (weightlifting) A shoulder exercise in which the arms are elevated against resistance.
- (curling) A shot in which the delivered stone bumps another stone forward.
- (poker) A bet which raised the previous bet.
- To cause to rise.
- Raise your hand if want to say something.
- To collect.
- He raises a lot of money for charity.
- To be brought up; to mature
- Chew with your mouth shut — were you raised in a barn?
- (poker) To respond to an initial bet by increasing the amount required to continue in the hand.
- John bet, and Julie raised requiring John to put in more money.
- To create; to constitute (a use, or a beneficial interest in property).
- There should be some consideration (i.e. payment or exchange) to raise a use.
- A scanning pattern of parallel lines that form the display of an image projected on a cathode-ray tube of a television set or display screen.
verb (receiv, ing)
- to get, to be given something while the other party is the active partner (opposite: to obtain)
- to take possession of
- The act of receive, receiving.
- (uncountable) The ability to receive radio or similar signals.
- We have poor TV in the valley.
- A social engagement, usually to formally welcome someone.
- After the wedding we proceeded to the .
- A reaction.
- The ambassador's jokes met a cold .
- The front desk of a hotel or office where guests are received.
verb to reflex
- An automatic response to a simple stimulus which does not require mental processing.
- (linguistics) A corresponding phoneme in a daughter language.
- to bend, turn back or reflect
- to respond to a stimulus
- bent, turned back or reflected
- produced automatically by a stimulus
- (electronics) Radio Frequency.
- (pathology) Rheumatoid Factor.