- a person of lower stature to another
- of lower quality
- Anna had always felt to her brother due to poor school grades.
- of lower rank
- located below
- In botany, inside the flower stalk below the petals. Said of an ovary.
noun (uncountable) and (countable)
- a pigment (or dye) based fluid used for writing, printing etc.
- black or dark coloured fluid ejected by squid, octopus etc, as a protective strategy
- to apply ink
- to sign a document
- to tattoo someone
- An image inserted into text.
- A promotional leaflet inserted into a magazine or newspaper.
- A page, often of tissue paper or other thin paper, inserted between the pages of a book to protect illustrations.
- Same as interleave
verb (interleav, ing)
- (transitive) To insert (pages, which are normally blank) between the pages of a book
- (transitive) To intersperse (something) at regular intervals between the parts of a thing
- (context, computing, transitive) To allocate (things such as successive segments of memory) to different tasks
- (transport) : between (or with) two airlines
- TWA and British Airways have an agreement to handle each other's baggage and to accept each other's tickets.
- I had an connection from Delta to AA in Dallas/Ft. Worth.
- An Italic language
- of, or relating to Italy
- (context, linguistics) Pertaining to a subfamily of the w:Centum-Satem isogloss, Centum branch of the Indo-European language family, that includes Latin and other languages (as Oscan, Umbrian) spoken by the peoples of ancient Italy and also the Romance languages (Italian, French, Spanish, etc.); the group of ancient languages of this branch as contrasted with the modern Romance languages; Osco-Umbrian
- The ancient languages that are now extinct include w:Oscan, w:Umbrian, and w:South Picene.
- (context, ancient history) Pertaining to various peoples that lived in Italy before the establishment of the Roman empire, or to any of several alphabet systems used by those peoples for writing their languages.
- ''There were several alphabets, one being the Etruscan alphabet.
verb (italiciz, es)
- (typography) To put into italics.
- To emphasize.