- The side of something opposite the front or useful side; the reverse side; the side that is not normally seen.
verb Turn the book over and look at the cover.
- That which is farthest away from the front.
He sat in the of the room.
- The part of something that goes last.
The car was near the of the train.
- The rear of body, especially the part between the neck and the end of the spine and opposite the chest and belly.
Could you please scratch my ?
- In some team sports, a position behind most players on the team.
- To go in the reverse direction.
adjective The train backed into the station.
- To support.
I you all the way.
(nautical, of the wind) the change direction contrary to its normal pattern (anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere, clockwise in the southern)
(nautical, of a square sail) to brace the yards so that the wind presses on the front of the sail, to slow the ship
(nautical, of an anchor) to lay out a second, smaller anchor to provide additional holding power
- Near the rear.
adverb (further back, furthest back)
Go in the door of the house. He was on vacation, but now he"s .
(context, after a change) In the previous state or position.
The office fell into chaos when you left, but now order is .
- Not current.
I"d like to find a issue of that magazine. They took a road.
- far, Far from the main area.
- (Not comparable) To a previous condition or place.
He gave the money.
Sit all the way in your chair.
- Away from the front or from an edge.
Step from the curb. Fear held him .
- In a manner that impedes.
(phonetics) A speech sound articulated with both lips.
(phonetics) Articulated with both lips.
noun (wikipedia, blend, blend (linguistics))
verb (blends, blending, blended, or poetic, blent)
- A mixture of two or more things.
(linguistics) A word formed by combining two other words; a grammatical contamination, portmanteau word.
(transitive) To mix.
- To feel no other breezes than are blown / Through its tall woods with high romances blent - w:John Keats, Keats, 1884
(past of, breathe)
- A colloquial term for a woman or girl.
Synonyms: see wikiSaurus:woman
- (of a person or object) wide in extent or scope
- having a specified width (e.g. 3 ft broad)
(context, of an accent) strongly regional