- (phonetics) Non-pulmonic consonant, Non-pulmonic consonants formed by squeezing air trapped between the glottis and an articulator further forward, and releasing it suddenly.
- Characterized by emphasis.
- Stated with conviction.
- He gave me an no when I asked him out.
noun (epenthes, es)
- (linguistics) The insertion of a phoneme, letter, or syllable into a word, usually to satisfy the phonology, phonological constraints of a language or poetic context.
- A sound in a word without etymological reason.
- A violent release of energy (sometimes mechanical, nuclear, or chemical.)
- A bursting due to pressure.
- The sound of an explosion.
- A sudden increase.
- A sudden outburst.
- Adjective, Explosive substance
- with the capability to, or likely to, explode
- (slang) easily driven to anger, usu. with reference to a person (e.g. He has an explosive personality.)