- (nautical) A seat attached to both sides of a boat.
- The fisherman sat on the aft to row.
- (transitive) to prevent; to halt; to cause failure.
- The police thwarted the would-be assassin.
verb (tugg, ing)
- a sudden powerful pull
- (nautical) a tugboat
- (transitive) to pull or drag with great effort
- The police officers tugged the drunkard out of the pub.
- (transitive) to pull hard repeatedly
- He lost his patience trying to undo his shoe-lace, but tugging it made the knot even tighter.
- (transitive) to tow by tugboat