- (context, of a car) brand, Brand; often paired with model.
verb (makes, making, made)
- What car do you drive?
- To create, construct or produce.
- We made a bird feeder for our yard.
- They hope to a bigger profit.
- We"ll a man out of him yet.
- To constitute.
- They a cute couple.
- This makes the third infraction.
- (context, construed with of, typically interrogative) To interpret.
- I don"t know what to of it.
- (context, usually stressed) To bring into success.
- This company is what made you.
- She married into wealth. She has it made.
- (context, second object is an adjective) To cause to be.
- The citizens made their objections clear.
- This might you a bit woozy.
- (context, second object is a verb) To cause to do.
- You"re making her cry.
- I was made to feel like a criminal.
- (context, second object is a verb, can be stressed for emphasis or clarity) To force to do.
- The teacher made the student study.
- Don"t let them you suffer.
- (context, of a fact) To indicate or suggest to be.
- His past mistakes don"t him a bad person.
- (context, of a person being sought) To recognise (without being recognised in return)
- 2004, George Nolfi et al, w:Ocean's Twelve, Ocean's Twelve, Warner Bros. Pictures, 0:50:30,
- :<span style="font-variant:small-caps">Linus Caldwell:</span> Well, she just made Danny and Yen, which means in the next 48 hours the three o' your pictures are gonna be in every police station in Europe.
- 2007 May 4, Andrew Dettmann et al, "Under Pressure", episode 3-22 of w:Numb3rs, Numb3rs, 00:01:16,
- :<span style="font-variant:small-caps">David Sinclair:</span> (walking) Almost at Seventh; I should have a visual any second now. (rounds a corner, almost collides into Kaleed Asan) Damn, that was close.<br /><span style="font-variant:small-caps">Don Eppes:</span> David, he you?<br /><span style="font-variant:small-caps">David Sinclair:</span> No, I don't think so.
- (nautical) the lowest rank of officer in several navies; especially that of a trainee officer
- (biology) any of several fish, of genus Porichthys, that have light-producing organs
- A vehicle, device or person with the purpose of removing explosive mines (landmines or water mines).