- A governor of a Persian province.
- A petty ruler.
- In some bicameral legislative systems, the upper house or chamber.
- A group of experienced, respected, wise individuals serving as decision makers or advisors in a political system or in institutional governance, as in a university, and traditionally of advanced age and male.
1818, w:Percy_Bysshe_Shelley, Percy Bysshe Shelley,"The Revolt of Islam", canto 11, stanza 13, lines 4338-9,
- :Before the Tyrant's throne
:All night his aged Senate sate.
noun (wikipedia, Seven Sages of Greece)
the seven, Seven sage, Sages
- The seven ancient Greek men Thales, Solon, Periander, Cleobulus, Chilon, Bias, and Pittacus.