noun (pl=abomasa, pl2=abomasums)
- (anatomy) The fourth or digestive stomach of a ruminant, which leads from the third stomach omasum. See ruminantia.
noun (pl=abomasi, pl2=abomasuses)
- (alternative spelling of, abomasum)
- Above is often used further elliptically as a noun by omitting the noun, where it is should be clear what is omitted.
- See the .
- Above is often used elliptically as an adjective by omitting the word said, mentioned, quoted, or the like:
- the (-said) observations
- the (-cited) reference
- the (-quoted) articles
- In a higher place; overhead; into or from heaven.
- He's in a better place now, floating free as the clouds .''
- Earlier in order; higher in the same page; hence, in a foregoing page.
- (rfdate) w:Dryden, Dryden,
- : That was said .
- Higher in rank or power.
- He appealed to the court .
- (zoology) Without gills.
- The study of ticks and mites.
- (Zoí¶logy): Without a distinct head; -- a term applied to bivalve mollusks.
- (Botany): Having the style spring from the base, instead of from the apex, as is the case in certain ovary, ovaries
- Without a leader or chief.
- Wanting the beginning
- A false or structure of sentence. - De Quincey
- (Prosody): Deficient in the beginning, as a line of poetry that is missing its expected opening syllable - Brande
- (Zoí¶logy): Not possessing a mantle; -- said of certain gastropods.
noun (plural: aciculae)
- One of the needlelike or bristlelike spines or prickles of some animals and plants; also, a needlelike crystal.
- Without fingers or without toes.
- Without claws on the feet (of crustaceous animals).
- A rodent similar in appearance to a guinea pig but having longer legs.
initialism , A.I.
- (comptheory) artificial intelligence
- (management) action item
- (British airforce) airborne intelligence (syn. for an early type of airborne radar).
- (agricultural) artificial insemination.
- (gaming) reference to the computer opponent(s) and/or the specific behaviors coded into the game ("pathfinding AI" or "economic AI").
- (phonetics) articulatory index.
- Air India
- A wing-footed animal; a chiropter or a bat.
- Wing-footed; having a membrane connecting the digits.
- (zoology) Helpless at birth (of young animals); or having young which are helpless at birth.
- 2001: Altricial young are typical among carnivores, which might be expected to be hampered in their hunting behaviour if the pregnant mother has to carry its young for a long period. " Gonyou, Keeling & Keeling, Social Behaviour in Farm Animals (CABI Publishing 2001, p. 63)
- (uncountable) A solid, waxy, flammable substance of a dull grey or blackish color, produced in the intestines of the sperm whale. It is used in perfumes.
- alternative spelling of amoebocyte
- any cell that has the form or motion of an amoeba
- a leukocyte, especially in an in vitro culture
- (linguistics) (of a noun) not having an article
- In "Renowned curator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery." curator is anarthrous.
- (biology) (of a limb) not having joints
- having characteristics of a human being, usually in terms of shape or appearance
- having characteristics of an ape
- a branching and bony structure on the head of deer, moose and elk, normally in pairs. They are grown and shed each year. (Compare with horn, which is generally not shed.)
- While hiking in the woods, I found an from a deer.
- Having antlers.
- Having no tail.
- without feet or foot-like body parts
- of, relating to, or resembling a tree
- accelerated reply mail: a service of the United States Postal Service
- adjustable rate mortgage
- (past of, arm)
- equip, Equipped, especially with a weapon.
- (Of a weapon) prepared for use.
verb (articulat, ing)
- To make clear or effective.
- To speak clearly; to enunciate.
- I wish he"d his words more clearly.
- To explain; to put into words; to make something specific.
- I like this painting, but I can"t why.
- To bend or hinge something at intervals, or to allow or build something so that it can bend.
- an articulated bus
- (music) to attack a note, as by tonguing, slurring, bowing, etc.
- Articulate that passage heavily.
- (anatomy) to form a joint or connect by joints
- The lower jaw articulates with the skull at the temporomandibular joint.
- clear, effective
- especially, speaking in a clear or effective manner
- She"s a bright, young woman.
- able to bend or hinge at certain points or intervals
- The robot arm was in two directions.
noun (plural astragali)
- (anatomy) The talus.
- (botany) A herb genus.
- One's dress; what one wears; one's clothes.
- He was wearing his formal .
- (heraldry) The antler of a deer or stag.