- Resistant to pressure.
- Requiring a lot of effort to do or understand
adverb (harder, hardest)
- a hard problem
- Demanding a lot of effort to endure.
- a hard life
- (context, of a person) , severe, harsh, unfriendly, brutal.
- hard evidence
- Of drink, strong.
- Of water, high in dissolved calcium compounds.
- (context, slang, vulgar) Sexually aroused.
- (bodybuilding) Having muscles that are tightened as a result of intense, regular exercise.
- With much strength or energy
- A grasp or grip.
verb (holds, holding, held, held or rarely holden)
- Keep a firm on the handlebars.
- Something reserved or kept.
- We have a here for you.
- (italbrac, wrestling) A position or grip used to control the opponent.
- He got him in a tight and pinned him to the mat.
- (nautical) The cargo area of a ship, (often cargo hold).
- Put that in the .
- (italbrac, gambling) The percentage the house wins on a gamble.
- (transitive) To grasp or grip.
- Hold the pencil like this.
- (transitive) To contain or store.
- This package holds six bottles.
- (transitive) To have and keep possession of something.
- Hold my coat for me.
- (transitive) To reserve.
- Hold a table for us at 7:00.
- (transitive) To cause to wait or delay.
- Hold the elevator.
- (transitive) To detain.
- Hold the suspect in this cell.
- (present participle of, home)