- A small wad of fur or mass of hair formed in the digestive system of a cat or other animal, from hair ingested while grooming.
- (figuratively) A messy, tangled, intractable, stay-away-from-it issue.
- The contract negotiations are turning into a real hairball.
verb (heaves, heaving, heaved or, nautical, hove, heaved or, nautical hove)
- An effort to raise something, as a weight, or one's self, or to move something heavy.
- An upward motion; a rising; a swell or distention, as of the breast in difficult breathing, of the waves, of the earth in an earthquake, and the like.
- A horizontal dislocation in a metallic lode, taking place at an intersection with another lode.
- (nautical) The measure of extent to which a nautical vessel goes up and down in a short period of time. Compare with pitch.
- (context, transitive, archaic) To lift (generally); to raise, or cause to move upwards or forwards.
- (transitive) To lift with difficulty; to raise with some effort; to lift (a heavy thing).
- We heaved the chest-of-doors on to the second-floor landing.
- (context, transitive, mining, geology) To displace (a vein, stratum).
- (context, transitive, now, _, rare) To cause to swell or rise, especially in repeated exertions.
- The wind heaved the waves.
- (intransitive) To rise and fall.
- Her chest heaved with emotion.
- (transitive) To utter with effort.
- She heaved a sigh and stared out of the window.
- (context, transitive, now, _, nautical) To throw, cast.
- The cap'n hove the body overboard.
- (context, transitive, nautical) To pull up with a rope or cable.
- Heave up the anchor there, boys!
- (intransitive) To make an effort to vomit; to retch.
- The smell of the old cheese was enough to make you heave.
adjective (hipper, hippest)
- (anatomy) The outward-projecting parts of the pelvis and top of the femur and the overlying tissue.
- The fruit of a rose.
- (slang) aware
- (slang) trendy.
noun (wikipedia, hotspot (geology))
(plural hot spots)
(wikipedia, hotspot (wifi))
- (geology) the surface manifestation of a plume that rises from deep in the Earth"s mantle
- a dangerous place of violent political unrest
- a lively and entertaining place, such as a nightclub
- an area of radioactive contamination
- (genetics) the region of a gene in which there is higher than normal rate of mutation
- (computing) a location in which WiFi? Internet access is available
- In pathology, excess keratin formation on the skin surface, as can be seen in a number of dermatologic conditions.