- Abbreviated form of Caleb, Calum or Calvin
noun (wikipedia, Caloric theory)
- (Obsolete) the hypothetical medium of heat
- (italbrac, US, UK rare) relating to calorie, calories
- (italbrac, US, UK rare) relating to or produce, producing heat or other energy
- Relating to calorie, calories.
- (context, UK, physics) Relating to or produce, producing heat or other energy.
- (physics) An apparatus for measuring the heat generated or absorbed by either a chemical reaction, change of phase or some other physical change
- (physics) The science of measuring the heat absorbed or evolved during the course of a chemical reaction or change of state.
- A metric scale of temperature with 0.01 °C as the triple point of water, and a difference in temperature of 1 °C corresponds to 1/273.16 of the difference in temperature between the triple point and the absolute zero.
- A condition of low temperature.
- Come in, out of the .
- (medicine) A common, usually harmless, viral illness, usually with congestion of the nasal passages and sometimes fever.
- I caught a miserable and had to stay home for a week.
- (context, of a thing) having a low temperature.
- A wind whistled through the trees.
- (context, of the weather) causing the air to be cold.
- The forecast is that it will be very today.
- (context, of a person or animal) feeling the sensation of coldness, especially to the point of discomfort.
- She was so she was shivering.
- Unfriendly, emotionally distant or unfeeling.
- She shot me a glance before turning her back.
- Completely unprepared.
- The speaker went in and floundered for a topic.
- A medium, usually fluid, used to draw heat from an object.
verb (cop, p, ing)
- (slang) A police officer.
- (colloquial) To capture, get hold of, take.
- 2005, Martin Torgoff, Can't Find My Way Home, Simon & Schuster, page 10,
- : Heroin appeared on the streets of our town for the first time, and Innie watched helplessly as his sixteen-year-old brother began taking the train to Harlem to smack.