- A nonviable material used in a medical device, intended to interact with biological systems. (source: Consensus definition, 1st Biomaterials Consensus Conference, 1986, Chester, UK)
- A material intended to interface with biological systems to evaluate, treat, augment, or replace any tissue, organ, or function of the body. (source: Consensus definition, 2nd Biomaterials Consensus Conference, 1992, Chester, UK)
- A rough, prickly husk around the seeds or fruit of some plants
- Any of several plants having such husks
- A rotary cutting implement having a selection of variously shaped heads
verb (buttonhol, ing)
- A hole through which a button is pushed to secure a garment or some part of one.
(context, mostly, UK) a flower worn in a buttonhole for decoration
- To detain (a person) in conversation against their will.
(rfv-sense) (slang) To grab (a person) by the shirt.
verb (bypass, es)
- a road that passes around something, such as a residential area
- a circumvention
- a section of pipe that conducts a fluid around some other fixture
- an electrical shunt
(medicine) an alternative passage created to divert a bodily fluid around a damaged organ; the surgical procedure to construct such a bypass
- to avoid an obstacle etc, by constructing or using a bypass
- to ignore the usual channels or procedures