noun (wikipedia, Wear, Wear (damage))
verb (wears, wearing, wore, worn)
- (uncountable) (in combination) clothing, Clothing (such as footwear).
- (uncountable) damage, Damage to the appearance and/or strength of an item caused by use over time.
- (intransitive) To suffer due to use or activity.
- The tiles were wearing thin due to years of children's feet.
- (transitive) To have equipped on one's person, like an item of clothing.
- He is wearing some nice pants today.
- He was wearing his lunch after tripping and falling into the buffet.
- (transitive) To exhaust or expend.
- Our physical advantage allowed us to the other team out and win.
- (transitive) (nautical) To bring a sailing ship onto the other tack by bringing the wind around the stern (as opposed to tacking when the wind is brought around the bow). (See gybe, or jibe)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wear for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of wear