noun (wikipedia, Wear, Wear (damage))
- (uncountable) (in combination) clothing, Clothing (such as footwear).
- (uncountable) damage, Damage to the appearance and/or strength of an item caused by use over time.
verb (wears, wearing, wore, worn)
- Dutch: sleet , slijtage
- Italian: usura
- Spanish: ropa
- French: usure
- German: Abnutzung
- (intransitive) To suffer due to use or activity.
- The tiles were wearing thin due to years of children's feet.
- (transitive) To have equipped on one's person, like an item of clothing.
- He is wearing some nice pants today.
- He was wearing his lunch after tripping and falling into the buffet.
- (transitive) To exhaust or expend.
- Our physical advantage allowed us to the other team out and win.
- (transitive) (nautical) To bring a sailing ship onto the other tack by bringing the wind around the stern (as opposed to tacking when the wind is brought around the bow). (See gybe, or jibe)
- Dutch: dragen
- French: porter
- German: tragen
- Italian: indossare
- Spanish: llevar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wear for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.