- A part or parts remain, remaining after some has/have been removed.
- My son ate part of his cake and I ate the remainder.
- You can have the remainder of my clothes.
- (commerce) Items left unsold and subject to reduction in price.
- I got a really good price on this shirt because it was a remainder.
- (mathematics) The amount left over after subtracting the divisor as many times as possible from the dividend without producing a negative result. If (dividend) and d (divisor) are integers, then can always be expressed in the form n = dq + r, where q (quotation) and r () are also integers, and 0 ≤ r < d.
- 17 leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3.
- 11 divided by 2 is 5 remainder 1.
- (uncountable) A game of chance, in which a small ball is made to move round rapidly on a circle divided off into numbered red and black spaces, the one on which it stops indicating the result of a variety of wagers permitted by the game.
- (countable) A small toothed wheel used by engravers to roll over a plate in order to produce rows of dots.
- (countable) A similar wheel used to roughen the surface of a plate, as in making alterations in a mezzotint.
- (countable) (geometry) The locus of a point on a plane curve that rolls without slipping along another fixed plane curve.
- (stamp-collecting) any of the small incisions on a sheet of stamps, used as an alternative to perforations.