verb (cancels, cancelling (Commonwealth), canceling (American), cancelled (Commonwealth), canceled (American))
- (nonstandard) A cancellation.
- (rfv-sense, apparently means natural.) (music) A mark cancelling a previous sharp or flat.
- (transitive) To cross out something with lines etc.
- (transitive) To invalidate or annul something.
- He cancelled his order on their website.
- (transitive) To mark something (such as a used postage stamp) so that it can't be reused.
- This machine cancels the letters that have a valid zip code.
- (transitive) To offset or equalize something.
- The corrective feedback mechanism cancels out the noise.
(rfc, None of the meanings are limited to transitive or intransitive - the verb is always both/either with no distinction in meaning, only distinction is object referent.)
- (transitive) (mathematics) To remove a common factor from both the numerator and denominator of a fraction, or from both sides of an equation.
- (rfd-redundant) (intransitive) To counterbalance or neutralize each other.
- (rfd-redundant) (intransitive) (mathematics) Of a common factor in numerator and denominator of a fraction: To disappear.
- The act, process, or result of canceling; as, the cancellation of certain words in a contract, or of the contract itself.
- (mathematics) The operation of striking out common factors, in both the dividend and divisor.
- (philately) A postmark that marks a postage stamp so as to prevent its reuse.
- In United States intellectual property law, a proceeding in which an interested party seeks to cancel the registration of a trademark or patent.
verb (catalogs, cataloging, cataloged, cataloged)
- (alternative spelling of, catalogue)
- (alternative spelling of, catalogue)
- (weightlifting) The first part of the event clean and jerk in which the weight is brought from the ground to the shoulders.
- (transitive) remove, Remove dirt from a place or object.
- Can you the windows today?
- (transitive) tidy, Tidy up, make a place neat.
- Clean your room right now!
- (context, transitive, climbing) Remove equipment from a climbing route after it was previously lead climbed.
- (intransitive) Make things clean in general.
- She just likes to . That"s why I married her.
- (context, intransitive, curling) brush, Brush the ice lightly in front of a moving rock to remove any debris and ensure a correct line; less vigorous than a sweep.
- Not dirty.
- Are these dishes ?
- In a condition of having been cleaned.
- Your room is finally !
- In an unmarked condition.
- Put a sheet of paper into the printer.
- Pure, especially morally or religiously.
- Our kids can watch this movie because it is .
- Drug- and alcohol-free.
- I've been this time for eight months.
- Smooth, exact, and performed well.
- I"ll need a sharper knife to make cuts.
- (colloquial) Cool or neat.
- Damn, Shorty, those are some shoes ya got there!
- (context, Of a criminal record or driver"s license) Without restrictions or penalties.
- Unlike you, I"ve never been caused any accidents " my record is still !
- (context, aerodynamics) Allowing an uninterrupted flow over surfaces, without protrusions such as racks or landing gear.
- (context, health) Being free of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- I want to make sure my fiancé is before we are married.
- Not in possession of weapons or contraband such as drugs.
- I"m officer. You can go ahead and search me if you want.
- fully, Fully and completely.
- He was stabbed through.
- Influence or authority over.
verb (control, l, ing)
- The government has complete over the situation.
- A separate group or subject in an experiment against which the results are compared where the primary variable is low or nonexistence.
- The method and means of governing the performance of any apparatus, machine or system, such as a lever, handle or button.
- A security mechanism, policy, or procedure that can counter system attack, reduce risks, and resolve vulnerabilities, synonymous with safeguard and counter-measure.
- To exercise influence over, to suggest or dictate the behavior of.
- With a simple remote, he could the toy truck.