All Words Glossary
- (context, mainly, India) A member of an armed gang of bandits in India, Pakistan, and the surrounding region.
- 1954, "http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,857479,00.html The Terror of Kings," Time, 19 July,
- :The history of northern India is studded with the names of notorious outlaw dacoits who roam the hills in the name of Kali, robbing the rich, comforting the poor, and in general spreading terror and rough justice.
- 2004, Catherine Philp, "http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article496641.ece India's Bandit King is betrayed," The Times, London, 20 Oct.,
- :"The notorious forest brigand, bandit, murderer and , Veerappan, along with his entire gang, has been shot dead," Jayaram Jayalalithaa, the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu State, announced.
- 2007, "http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007%5C04%5C21%5Cstory_21-4-2007_pg3_1 EDITORIAL: Pakistani Phoolan Devi"s short career," Daily Times, Pakistan, 21 Apr.,
- :A very athletic female was arrested in North Nazimabad in Karachi after she vaulted over a nine-foot wall, following her unsuccessful attempt at armed robbery in the house of a retired banker.
- A first year student at the United States Air Force Academy; a cadet freshman
Browse the Dictionary