- A violent explosion, or the pattern (likened to the shape of a asterisk, star) supposed to be made by such an explosion.
- 2002: Ellen Datlow, Terri Windling, The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror
- :... his arm striking brick and the bottle shattering in a of black ...
- 2003: Tim Cockey, Murder in the Hearse Degree: A Novel
- :A of red exploded on his chest and he flew backward a good six or seven feet.
- 2004: Elizabeth George, Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
- :... and another that creates a cicatrix from her right eye to her temple. This scar is the result of an accident when she was ten years old, ...
- (context, typography) A symbol similar to an asterisk, but with additional rays: <font size=6>âœº</font>.
- (astronomy) A region of space with an unusually high rate of star formation.
- (astronomy) A period in time during which a region of space experiences an unusually high rate of star formation.
- the Milky Way will see a in approximately 200 000 000 years
- (context, astronomy, of a region of space) To experience an unusually high rate of star formation.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for starburst for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.