- A violent explosion, or the pattern (likened to the shape of a asterisk|star) supposed to be made by such an explosion.
#*2002: Ellen Datlow, Terri Windling, The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror
#*:... his arm striking brick and the bottle shattering in a starburst of black ...
#*2003: Tim Cockey, Murder in the Hearse Degree: A Novel
#*:A starburst of red exploded on his chest and he flew backward a good six or seven feet.
#*2004: Elizabeth George, Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
#*:... and another that creates a cicatrix starburst from her right eye to her temple. This scar is the result of an accident when she was ten years old, ...
- context|typography A symbol similar to an asterisk, but with additional rays: <font size=6>âœº</font>.
- astronomy A region of space with an unusually high rate of star formation.
- astronomy A period in time during which a region of space experiences an unusually high rate of star formation.
#:the Milky Way will see a starburst in approximately 200 000 000 years
- context|astronomy|of a region of space To experience an unusually high rate of star formation.