- a town in Kent, south-east England, one of the historic Cinque Ports
- an English habitational surname originating from this town
- one of several younger towns named after the town in Kent or a person bearing the surname:
- Sandwich, Massachusetts, pop. 20,136 (2000)
- Sandwich, Illinois, pop. 6,509 (2000)
- Sandwich, New Hampshire, pop. 1,286 (2000)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Sandwich for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
noun (sandwich, es)
- A snack formed of various ingredients between two slices of bread
- cheese sandwich
- Any combination formed by layering material of one type between two layers of material of another type
verb (sandwich, es)
- Dutch: boterham , sandwich
- French: sandwich
- German: belegtes Brot , Sandwich
- Italian: tramezzino , panino
- Spanish: sí¡ndwich , emparedado , torta (Mex.)
- To place one item between two other, usually flat, items
Etymology: Named after its supposed inventor, the w:John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, Earl of Sandwich (see Sandwich).
- German: einklemmen, einzwí¤ngen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sandwich for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.