- An argument, or discussion, usually in an ordered or formal setting, often with more than two people, generally ending with a vote or other decision.
- After a four-hour , the committee voted to table the motion.
- An informal and spirited but generally civil discussion of opposing views.
- The over the age of the universe is thousands of years old.
- There was a bit of a over who should pay for the damaged fence.
- (uncountable) Discussion of opposing views.
- There has been considerable concerning exactly how to format these articles.
- (Frequently in French form débat) a type of literary composition, taking the form of a discussion or disputation, commonly found in the vernacular medieval poetry of many European countries, as well as in wikipedia:medieval Latin, medieval Latin.
verb (debat, ing)
- Dutch: debat , bespreking
- French: débat
- German: Debatte
- Italian: dibattito , dibattimento
- To participate in a debate.
- Dutch: debatteren, uitpraten, bespreken
- French: débattre
- German: debattieren
- Italian: dibattere
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for debate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.