- (linguistics) a figure of speech used for emphasis, where two words joined by and are used to express a single complex idea.
- Classical example: nice and warm (instead of nicely warm)
- A literary device that is the reversal of the syntactic relation of two words, e.g. "her beauty's face" or I can't knock the smirk off his stupid face (because the thing that is referred to being stupid is "him", and not "his face").
- (uncountable) extreme exaggeration or overstatement; especially as a literary or rhetorical device.
- (uncountable) deliberate exaggeration
- (countable) an instance or example of this technique
- (countable) (obsolete) a hyperbola