- A person who keeps records, takes notes and handles general clerical work.
- The head of a department of government.
- A managerial or leading position in certain non-profit organizations, such as political parties, trade unions, international organizations.
Etymology: From secretarius, one entrusted with secrets.
- Kofi Annan is the current secretary general of the United Nations.
- A type of desk.
- A species of bird; Sagittarius serpentarius.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for secretary for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of secretary