- A person who keeps records, takes notes and handles general clerical work.
- The head of a department of government.
- A managerial or leading position in certain non-profit organizations, such as political parties, trade unions, international organizations.
- Kofi Annan is the current secretary general of the United Nations.
- A type of desk.
- A species of bird; Sagittarius serpentarius.
Etymology: From secretarius, one entrusted with secrets.
- Dutch: secretaresse
- French: messager serpentaire(fr)
- German: Sekretí¤r(de)
- Italian: segretario(it)m
- Spanish: serpentario(es)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for secretary for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.