- A formal gesture done in honor of someone or something, usually with the hand or hands in one of various particular positions.
verb (salutes, saluting, saluted)
- The soldiers greeted the dignitaries with a crisp .
- Any action done for the purpose of honor or tribute .
- The orchestra performed the concert as a to Gershwin.
- To make a gesture in honor of someone or something.
Etymology: from Latin salutare "to greet", lit. "wish health to," from salus (gen. salutis) "greeting, good health", related to salvus "safe".
- They saluted the flag as it passed in the parade.
- To act in thanks, honor, or tribute; to thank or extend gratitude.
- I would like to the many dedicated volunteers that make this project possible.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for salute for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of salute