- An instance of propelling oneself into the air.
- An instance of causing oneself to fall from an elevated location.
- An instance of employing a parachute to leave an aircraft or elevated location.
- An instance of reacting to a sudden stimulus by jerking the body.
- A jumping move in a board game.
- (context, sports, horses) An obstacle that forms part of a showjumping course, and that the horse has to jump over cleanly.
- (intransitive) To propel oneself rapidly upward such that momentum causes the body to become airborne.
- (intransitive) To cause oneself to leave an elevated location and fall downward.
- (intransitive) To employ a parachute to leave an aircraft or elevated location.
- (intransitive) To react to a sudden, often unexpected, stimulus (such as a sharp prick or a loud sound) by jerking the body violently.
- (intransitive) To employ a move in certain board games where one game piece is moved from one legal position to another passing over the position of another piece.
- (transitive) To move to a position in (a queue/line) that is further forward.
- (transitive) To attack suddenly and violently.
- (transitive) To force to jump.
- The rider jumped the horse over the fence.
- (obsolete) exactly; precisely
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for jump for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of jump