verb (eats, eating, ate, eaten)
- (transitive) To consume (something solid or semi-solid, usually food) by putting it into the mouth and swallowing it.
Etymology: Old English etan, from Germanic , from Indo-European hâed-. Cognate with Scots aet, Dutch eten, German essen, Swedish íta; and (from IE) with Greek (polytonic, á), Latin edo, edÅ, Russian , Lithuanian esti, ésti.
- He"s eating an apple.
- (context, transitive, colloquial) To cause (someone) to worry.
- What"s eating you?
- (transitive) (Idiom) To take a loss in a transaction
- It"s a special order, we can"t send it back; if the customer won"t accept it, we"ll have to the 40 tons of steel ourselves.
- (intransitive) To consume a meal.
- What time do we this evening?
- Don"t disturb me now; can't you see I"m eating?
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for eat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of eat