- A nation state, a political entity asserting ultimate authority over a geographical area.
- Australia is both a and a continent.
- A former independent nation state (e.g., England or Scotland).
- (usually preceded by the) A rural area, as opposed to a town or city; countryside.
- I come from the — I'd hate to live in the city now, I'm so used to the woodland and meadows.
- These animals are now found only in the high .
- Short for country music, a genre of popular music that has rural Southern roots and embraces numerous subgenres and styles.
Etymology: contree, contre, from contrée, from Vulgar Latin (terra) contrata, "(land) lying opposite", "(land) spread before", derived from contra ("against, opposite").
- From the countryside or connected with it.
- Of or connected to country music.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for country for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of country