- A series of interconnected rings or links usually made of metal.
- He wore a gold around the neck.
- A series of interconnected things.
- This led to an unfortunate of events.
- A series of stores or businesses with the same brand name.
- That of restaurants is expanding into our town.
- A number of atoms in a series, which combine to form a molecule.
- When examined, the molecular included oxygen and hydrogen.
- (surveying) A series of interconnected links of known length, used as a measuring device.
- (surveying) A long measuring tape.
- A unit of length equal to 22 yards. The length of a commonly used surveying chain. The length of a cricket pitch. Equal to 17.85 metres. Equal to 4 rods.
Etymology: From chaeine (French: chaíne), from catena.
- (transitive) To fasten something with a chain
- (intransitive) To link multiple items together
- (transitive) To secure someone with fetters
- (transitive) To obstruct the mouth of a river etc with a chain
- (computing) To relate data items with a chain of pointers; to be chained to another data item
- (transitive) To measure a distance using a 66-foot long chain, as in land surveying
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chain for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chain