- A strap or rope attached to the bridle or bit, used to control a horse or other animal.
- to direct or stop a horse by using reins
- (usually "rein in") to stop or restrain a horse. Also used figuratively
Etymology: Anglo-Norman redne, from Old French resne (modern ríne), from Vulgar Latin
- President"s Budget: A Solid Step To Rein in Spending
- retina, from Latin retinere "retain", from re-Latin, re- + tenere.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rein for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of rein