- A strap or rope attached to the bridle or bit, used to control a horse or other animal.
- Dutch: teugel
- French: ríªne
- German: Zí¼gel
- Spanish: rienda
- to direct or stop a horse by using reins
- (usually "rein in") to stop or restrain a horse. Also used figuratively
- President"s Budget: A Solid Step To Rein in Spending
Etymology: Anglo-Norman redne, from Old French resne (modern ríne), from Vulgar Latin , from Latin retinere "retain", from re-Latin, re- + tenere.
- Dutch: besturen (1), beteugelen (2)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rein for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.