- (philosophy) Extreme scepticism, maintaining that nothing has a real existence.
- The rejection of all moral principles.
- A doctrine holding that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility.
- The belief that all endeavors are ultimately futile and devoid of meaning.
- Contradiction (not always deliberate) between behavior and espoused principle, to such a degree that all possible espoused principle is voided.
Etymology: From Latin nihil 'nothing'.
- "...the bandmembers sweat hard enough to earn their pretensions, and maybe even their " (rock critic Dave Marsh, reviewing the band XTC's album Go)
- The deliberate refusal of belief to the point that belief itself is rejected as untenable.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for nihilism for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of nihilism