- (nautical) Especially of a sailboat, of a vessel which is quick, and agile. Of one which is easy to hand, reef and steer.
Etymology: (rfc-level, Etymology not at level 3)
- 1940 My, she was yar...It means, uh...easy to handle, quick to the helm, fast, right. Everything a boat should be, until she develops dry rot. - w:The Philadelphia Story, - written by w:Philip Barry, -
- 1993 Arr, here be a fine vessel the yarest river-going boat there be. - Captain McAllister? w:Simpsons, The Simpsons ep. w:Boy-Scoutz_N_the_Hood, 1F06
- Old English gearu "ready"
- Old High German garo "ready"
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for yar for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.