- A large wild canid (member of the dog family), closely related to, and at times consanguineous to the domestic dog, which is considered a subspecies of the wolf.
- (the Wolf) The constellation w:Lupus, Lupus.
- A man who makes amorous advances on many women.
verb (wolfs, wolfing, wolfed, wolfed)
- Dutch: wolf
- French: loup , louve
- German: Wolf
- Italian: lupo
- Spanish: lobo , loba
- (transitive) To devour; to gobble; to eat (something) voraciously.
Etymology: From < wulf <
- French: dévorer, engloutir
- German: herunterschlingen
- Spanish: devorar, engullir
- wulfaz < (PIE.)
- wlqwos/lukwos, < Proto-Indo-European base
- wlp-/lup-. Cognates include Sanskrit vrkas, Polish wilk, Lithuanian vilkas, Russian ', Albanian ulk, Latin vulpes, and probably Greek ' and Latin lupus.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wolf for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.